Saturday, April 17, 2010

Let's talk!

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings" - The Walrus and The Carpenter, Lewis Carroll.

And indeed week six was all about talking of many things! There was a lot of ringing around to do. I rang the writers that I hadn't received a reply from regarding updating the writer's details database. This was good to chat with the writers one-on-one, to meet them and to also further discuss any ideas, questions or suggestions they had for or about the magazine. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's all about establishing sound relationships. Sound relationships? THAT was definitely accomplished! I'm meeting with a man next week who Dan and Paul claim will be a good contact for me to get to know. He's done a lot of work with people involved in the music, arts and entertainment field and he has an abundance of knowledge about the industry. He was also involved in the movie Beneath Hill 60 as a location assistant, so he’s certainly someone that I'm excited to meet next week!

I also got in contact with publicists to organise and/or check interview statuses. It was very repetitive, but it was good again, to establish connections and to talk in person. I got in contact with various businesses and agencies in North Queensland to organise contents for the May magazine, including imagery, environmental articles, topical columns and other information about social and community events. Dan and I are looking at expanding the Arts section of the magazine, because at the moment it’s rather small and it has the potential to be HUGE! I spoke to a writer that is a keen artist who would like to be involved, possibly by having a column dedicated to local art and her experiences as an artist within the community that she works in. This is exciting because it's a project that I can begin and eventually be able to look back and say "I started that!", with great modesty, of course!

Another job for the week was to inform everyone submitting articles of our formatting style and structure. Although The Place is a small building, it's not a small publication. As the editor, I've found come deadline week, it's hard to get everything in, edited and formatted correctly in such a short space of time. So, I've asked the writers upon submission of their work to follow the basic formatting document, in order to save time when it comes to getting ready for print. As the editor, I, Grier Williamson, do solemnly swear to edit the articles, so that they are free of error, however, if they are already formatted, it allows me more time to make sure that I carry out this oath! It's good for the writers also to be aware of how important formatting is and so far the results have been positive! After all, if you don’t ask, you don’t get!

On another note, it's weekend time! I'll be sure to talk of many other GREAT things next week!

=-)

1 comment:

  1. Modesty schmodesty, is great you are really sinking your teeth into your internship and role as editor! High five ;-)

    ReplyDelete