Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pete's right on the money!

"Hold on now your exits here, it's waiting just for you. Don't pause too long, it's fading now. It's ending all too soon, you'll see" - Opportunity, Pete Murray.

Week five was an exciting week, full of realisation. I arrived to find that I was going to be interviewing Katie Noonan, the former George front (wo)man, about her new band, The Captain's and their album due for release this week. Being a huge fan of George, especially their album 'Polyserena', I was stoked to have the opportunity to speak with Kaite. She was very down to earth and great to chat with. We spoke about her visiting North Queensland on her next tour and I learnt that her husband is from Ayr! Talk about it being a small world!

Other jobs I had to do were hunting down writers for two interviews that I had set up for the May issue. The hardest part was tracking down writers that were available for the interviews, both scheduled for the following day. I found myself leaving numerous voice messages and writing follow up emails and text messages to writers that I failed to get in direct contact with. It was repetitious, but it was good to practice these managerial and communication skills. In the end, after I had left the office, I heard back from two writers that were keen as mustard! Mission complete!

I also filtered through the one million emails waiting for me in the inbox into folders. This material would later be sorted, picked and prodded, to make up the contents of the May magazine. The filtering is designed to make the next job (sorting the content for publication), easier and it saves time. It's a good opportunity for me to become familiar with the content being sent that will feature in the next magazine, especially because I'm only at the office for a short period of time each week.

Writing this blog allows me to reflect on the opportunity that I have been given and how lucky I am to have received it. Without getting too deep and meaningful - this isn't a 'dear diary' segment after all - it's a matter of recognising the opportunity and seizing the moment before it's too late. Having the opportunity to be an intern at The Place in the role of the editor is an awesome opportunity in itself, let alone having the chance to interview musicians such as Katie Noonan, Powderfinger and Grinspoon! This opportunity allows me to build my portfolio, expand my contacts list and gain experience in the 'drivers seat', so to speak. In turn, this will go towards my future career as a journalist. Obviously, that's what an internship is all about, taking up every opportunity that is offered to you, but more so how you choose to go about it and what you make of it. I'll be sure not to pause too long!

X-D

No comments:

Post a Comment